7 STEPS TO TAKE BEFORE HOUSE HUNTING
1. Be familiar with the market. Take note of recent home sales and listing prices.
2. Have the money for a down payment, closing costs, and earnest money. Tax returns and holiday gift money are great sources for a down payment, closing costs, and earnest money.
3. Know how much you can manage to pay for. A good measure is your monthly house payment should be no more than 25% of your gross monthly income.
4. Maintain good credit and make sure your credit report is accurate. A mortgage counselor can help review your credit report with you.
5. DON'T make any major purchases near the time of the home purchase, above all a vehicle.
6. Hire a trusted Realtor and ask for past client testimonials.
7. Get preapproved for a mortgage loan. (And I strongly recommend getting at least two opinions to ensure you're getting the lowest monthly payment and out of pocket expenses).