With spring on its way, March is a good time to consider preparing an air conditioner or cooling unit for the hot days ahead. A few tips include:
- Always turn off the power before working on any appliance. This can be done by flipping a disconnect switch on the air conditioner, or by turning off power at the circuit breaker.
- Clean the outdoor condenser coil by vacuuming the fins carefully.
- Clean or replace the filter indoors.
- Check the condensation drain for sludge or algae growth and clean if necessary. Make sure the drain port isn’t blocked.
- Turn off the humidifier if present.
- Open the blower compartment and vacuum up any dust that has accumulated.
- Reconnect the power.
Anyone unsure of their ability to do any of the above repairs can call a licensed professional. Regular, annual maintenance can help prevent problems later.